"A good meal is like a present, and it can feel goofy, at best, to give yourself a present. On the other hand, there is something life affirming in taking the trouble to feed yourself well, or even decently. Cooking for yourself allows you to be strange or decadent or both. The chances of you liking what you made are high, but if it winds up being disgusting, you can always throw it away and order a pizza; no one will ever know." (Jenni Ferrari-Adler)

Monday, June 14, 2010

"Hecho en la casa"

A couple weeks ago a co-worker asked me what is that a girl like me is doing at home cooking. A couple days later a friend, after finding out about my hidden passin blurted out a "REEEEEAAAALLLLY? It just doesn't look like you". I even found out that my own step-dad things my sister is the child who has inherited cooking gene.

This is when I came to realize that most people in my life don't know I can cook and that most meals eaten by me on a weekly basis are prepared from scratch in the place i love to call "my little sanctuary".

And now to answer their questions, I cook because I love to, and yes I've been doing it since 1989. I can think of many ways in which cooking has benefited me and even changed my life. But mainly I do it because it makes me happy.

If you have decided that you've had it with eating out on a regular basis, or decided to ditch the microwave ready meals, then every time you feel discouraged just think  about all the money you can save just from brewing your own tea or coffee instead picking it up from Starbucks; or the 20lbs you can loose just by preparing your own soups and salad dressings.

You don't need to go from Ready-to-eat/ Take-out fanatic to brewing your own beer at home. Take instead a step at a time in the direction of a healthier and wealthier life.  One day you'll wake up to realize that about the journey after all, and not the destination.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails