"A good meal is like a present, and it can feel goofy, at best, to give yourself a present. On the other hand, there is something life affirming in taking the trouble to feed yourself well, or even decently. Cooking for yourself allows you to be strange or decadent or both. The chances of you liking what you made are high, but if it winds up being disgusting, you can always throw it away and order a pizza; no one will ever know." (Jenni Ferrari-Adler)

Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Banana Cake NIghtmare

Why in the world is it so hard to bake a cake? You would think baking a cake is like riding a bike, once you master it then it stays with you for life, right? Well, not exactly.

Vivid childhood memories come bursting thru my brain as tears are about to start pouring from my eyes. Why? why?why? I don't understand.  I used to bake beautiful cakes when i was 12, 13, 14....16 then life caught on, we moved to New York, and all of a sudden there were real things to worry about, like learning English for  instance.  There was no more time for baking...... oh and the discovery of ready to bake cookie dough.... that really changed everything.  

Then one day, 17 years later I decided to bake a cake, just for fun.  To relax from the worries of everyday life, to once again be able to close my eyes and have a taste of the sweetness of those careless years where all things were possible and life was a basket of surprises waiting unfold before my curious eyes. Oh! what a rude awakening.

Can someone please tell me where did I go wrong?

So I started by gathering all ingredients



Then followed all  instructions as per Rosemary's Banana & Walnut cake recipe:

Banana Walnut Cake
Ingredients
100 grs Butter
150 grs Brown Sugar
50 grs Milk ( I used almond milk)
1 egg
4 medium bananas
220 grs self-rising flour (I added 1 tsp of baking powder to regular)
60 gms of coarsely chopped walnuts.

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
Add butter, sugar and milk to TM cup and program 1min/37C/speeed2


Place butterfly in the cup add egg and program 3min/37C/speed 3


Remove butterfly, add the bananas, and program 5 sec/speed 6



Add flour 15sec/vel 3.

Slowly incorporate walnuts with spatula.

Pour dough into a previously greased and floured baking pan.
Oven bake for 40-50 min



Nothing could have gone wrong except for the result.  Very disappointing.



For some reason it did bake inside, even after 50 min of baking in a 350 degree oven (and yes it was 350 because i even went out and got a oven thermometer.



The dough's consistency seemed perfect, so i don't really thing the problem is the recipe. What in the world happened?

End result. cake went straight to the trash :(


3 comments:

  1. Sorry - I wish I could help, but I'm not the best cake baker either and tend to follow recipes pretty much to the letter. I look forward to seeing you succeed with you cake making adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no expert but, I would say too much sugar xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails