"A good meal is like a present, and it can feel goofy, at best, to give yourself a present. On the other hand, there is something life affirming in taking the trouble to feed yourself well, or even decently. Cooking for yourself allows you to be strange or decadent or both. The chances of you liking what you made are high, but if it winds up being disgusting, you can always throw it away and order a pizza; no one will ever know." (Jenni Ferrari-Adler)

Monday, November 8, 2010

The holidays are upon us - my weekend resolution

What a beautiful morning  in LA, we are back to fall temperatures and the Holidays are in our minds. Countdown for Thanksgiving has started and the spirit of the season can be felt everywhere from the mall to the grocery store. Everyone seems more festive, more giving  and happier. Like a new hope was born! Maybe it was the result of last weeks election, maybe its just the return of the sunshine to our lives.

This weekend so many good things happened. I am very blessed to have so many beautiful people in my life. Two eventful days surrounded by great friends and great food!

Last week I  successfully replicated a traditional Portuguese Flan  Recipe, inspired by memories of my childhood (my Grandmother was the Flan MASTER, forget any Iron Chef). This was the effort and collaboration of 3 very special people, My lovely aunt Mimosa, who hand me down the recipe I then tweaked, my friend Luis Andrade who shipped me some Gorreana Green Tea from Azores and my Girl Vanda Lopes who had delivered directly from portugal a Flan mold just like the one my  gramma used to cook her flan. If not for these 3 special people in my life, this Flan would never have come to be.

I've also decided that  I need to get some balls and submit a recipe to the Food52 cookbook recipe contest. Have nothing to lose. I owe it to myself, to my aunt, to my friends to went out of their way to help me get this together, and specially to my Gramma who now rests in peace, The Best Flan maker in the world.

So Ladies and Gentleman, this one is for you!

wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails