"A good meal is like a present, and it can feel goofy, at best, to give yourself a present. On the other hand, there is something life affirming in taking the trouble to feed yourself well, or even decently. Cooking for yourself allows you to be strange or decadent or both. The chances of you liking what you made are high, but if it winds up being disgusting, you can always throw it away and order a pizza; no one will ever know." (Jenni Ferrari-Adler)

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The joy of cooking

This year was hard year for most people I know.

It was like God fell asleep and the devil made a hostile take over of the world.

in 2010 alone I lost one of my good friends to a stupid car accident, my best friend in the whole world had to leave, my great-grand-father was hit by a car again (he has fully recovered  :D), my sister walked away on us, and I had a 20K pay cut in salary woohooo. The icing on the cake?....having to fight depression without having financial means to afford a shrink.  In a nutshell "M.F. 2010 sucked big ass fat droopy ugly blue balls".

However before I went completely crazy I decided to buckle up and fucking help myself out. I picked up yoga and meditation, underwent a cleanse and locked myself at home until my energy level was revived. I also cooked my fucking way out of depression! And this was the victory of all victories! The best thing I've ever done. It was like reconnecting with a part me I forgot it ever existed.

I've always loved to cook. and yes it always made me happy. But really if you really think about it, it makes all sense in the world why picking it up again  would help me thru these hard times.  You know when you had a horrible day at work followed by seating in traffic for 2 hours and you feel like you just need to kill someone? What a better way to release all that negativism than through chopping, and pounding and punching and cutting..... beef, vegetables, chicken, etc? eheh (just imagine that chicken is the bitch that makes your life a living hell at the office, the one who gets everybody in trouble, you know who i'm talking about......! I'm sure you do, we all work with that naggy B).

Today, I realize all crazy shit I went through in 2010 served a purpose, and I'm even thankful for all experiences and lessons learned. The most important lesson being that true happiness comes from within and begins with finding balance and inner peace. Only we are responsible for our own happiness, if you can't control something, release it. Find a passion, something you absolutely love to do, and surrender to it with reckless abandon. Forget about the world, just enter your zone and recharge your batteries. You'll then find to have become a better lover, a better friend, a better parent, a better child. You'll finally have something positive to contribute to the world .

This is what cooking has done in my life. It helped me reconnect, find my center, find a meaning, It helped me heal, it mended my soul, and made me a stronger, happier human being.

How about you? how do you cope with hard times? any passion that helped you through hard times?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails